Sunday, December 18, 2011

Examining Code of Ethics

I selected the following ideals offered to early childhood development:  

Ethical Responsibilities to Children

1-1.1 ----To be familiar with the knowledge base of early childhood care and education and to stay informed through continuing education and training.

Response:  This ideal really apply to me since I'm just getting my feet wet in the early childhood arena.  I intend to continue my journey of learning all I can about early childhood development, especially advocating for children and parents.

  1-1.7 --- To use assessment information to understand and support children's development and learning, to support instruction, and to identify children who may need additional services. 

Response:  If done fairly, the assessment is a great tool for educators because it identifies the student's ability, however, too many times we've heard stories about teacher interfering with test scores so that it can make them look good, rather than having the child's best interest at heart.  They really need to re-evaluate these assessments.

Ethical Responsibilities to Families

1-2.2   --- To develop  relationships of mutual trust and create partnerships with the families we serve.

Response:  Establishing trust with parents, as well as, children is very important to the welfare and education of students  This can open doors of opportunity for the teacher and parent because a relationship is formulated and information is a two way communication process, rather than one way communication.

Ethical Responsibilities to Community and Society

1-4.4  --- To work through education, research, and advocacy toward a society in which all young children have access to high quality early care and education programs.

Response:  Continue my focus in the early childhood area by getting involve with community events that advocates for children and family, such as, the project that I just completed on the job, My Sister's House, which advocates for abused women and children but still affects early childhood development.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Thelma, when I first saw your blog it really caught my attention. I see your passion for what you do and my hat is off to you. I also feel that it takes a village to raise a child and I am willing to be a part of that village. Continue to be the voice that you are and I wish you the best. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete