Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Childbirth - In Your Life & Around the World

I will always remember the birth of my 1st child because it was scary, no, downright frightening because of the unknown but also an exciting experience.  This was 33 years ago and I can still remember how excited I was to be giving birth to my first born son.  I recall the horrible pain, in labor for 23 hrs, Ouch, but it was somewhat of a joyous occasion. When it was time to deliver, I was asking the doctors to adjust the mirror so that I can see when my son entered the world, I was proud then and to this day he has made me even prouder to call him my son.  He's now married w/ (3) children of his own and will retire from the military in 4yrs.

I found an article about childbirth in South Africa, this is a culture that is steep in their religious and medical beliefs.  The women use a squatting position on the ground, most of them use a stool and they are surrounded by sisters and other femaile relatives, some are considered midwives. The midwives are paid only if the birth is successful.  The burial of the placenta and umbilical cord is thought to restore fertility and help heal the womb.

Talk about a strong women, I can't even imagine how painful this act of childbirth seems to me but all cultures have different childbithing experiences and I'm sure they all know what to expect.  But regardless of how your child is delivered, most women endure the pain because of what's to come.

2 comments:

  1. You were a brave woman to even want the doctor to adjust the mirror to even see him comming.(LOL). I know that you are proud of him for what he does for the country. I know you can't wait for him to come home. I know it will be a joyous celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thelma,

    I can certainly relate to a birth of a first born. The pain is something "otherworldly" but it is endured beacause of knowing what is to come. I find in many cultures the women squat rather than lay back. It makes more sense to me this position would better aid childbirthing because of gravity...do we developed countries have it backward?

    ReplyDelete